According to the 2011 sales survey conducted by the Audio Publishers Association, audibook sales continue on their increased growth market, particularly downloaded audiobooks. Here’s a few key points from the survey:
- Unit sales were up nearly 10% in the previous year, showing continued consumer interest in audiobooks.
- Based on the companies who reported (representing 61% of industry), total net sales (after returns) are up by 2 million units and $2 million.
- The total number of audiobooks being published doubled in the past three years, from 3,073 in 2007 to 6,200 in 2010.
- Audiobook downloads continued on a growth trend representing 36% of dollar volume (up from 29% in 2009) and 52% of unit sales (up from 48% in 2009)
- In the past 5 years, downloading has grown 300% by dollar volume (from 9% in 2005) and 150% in terms of units (from 21% in 2005).
- The CD format still represents the largest single source of dollars but showed slight declines overall in 2010 – 58% of revenue (down from 65%) and 43% of unit sales (down from 46%).
- Unabridged editions (89% of the market by dollars; 85% of the market by units) continue to lead in sales.
Given this increasing market, isn’t it time you considered entering the audiobook market? – If you are an independent author submit an Expression of Interest today to see if we can produce your audiobook on a commission only basis.